The 3 biggest steps you need to take today before you quit your 9-5 job
Ever felt that working hours for money is a giant waste of your time and your life!? Yes??! IKR.
When you’re getting up to go to work, and going through the same routines, just to earn the same paycheck, then doing it all over again tomorrow it feels like groundhog day!
Geeez don’t you wish there was a better way!? Well, there is. But you have to be prepared to put in the hard work and take some big risks.
For me. It’s all about having the freedom to work on my own terms. In my own space. Doing what I love and spending time with the people that matter most to me.
Whatever your reasons for wanting to quit the 9-5 hussle. Get these three things in order first before you quit your day job!
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links for which I may make a small commission at no extra cost to you, if you make a purchase. I only recommend products I love.
Benefits of being your own boss
Some of the BIG reasons why I love being an independent entrepreneur are that I get to create my own schedule and do the things I need to do when I do my best work.
This might mean I take a morning walk with the dog on the beach, or spend time creating a meal later in the day when I would have otherwise been stuck to my desk.
I can create my own schedule and work when I’m at my best. I can write when I’m at my most productive and I can create when I’m at my most creative. I’m not tied into a schedule.
I much prefer to chunk out my days and do big hits of head down focussed work… then easing back off for a little while and resting my brain.
20 benefits of quitting your 9-5
- Freedom to live on your own terms
- Job security is a myth nowadays
- Decreased stress and increased better mental health
- Increased happiness
- Ability to focus on passion pursuits
- Time to create additional income streams
- Love your days, hours, minutes, moments again
- Take back your time
- Life a life without regret
- Space to be your authentic, true self
- Improved physical health and overall wellbeing
- Work at the best times for you
- Make space in your days for the things that matter
- Work from wherever you like
- Time to join, and develop communities around your interests
- Enjoy the fruits of your own labour
- Live a life of purpose
- More closely align your days with your values
- Earn more money
- Make your own stamp on the world
How can I quit my 9-5?
Quitting your day job and flinging yourself into your solo career is bloody terrifying! But also liberating. Deciding to be your own boss and creating a life you love is not for the faint hearted, but it creates a multitude of benefits that far surpass the obvious.
- Do you have skills or knowledge that you can share with the world through the creation of products or services?
- Do you have a unique talent or experience that is easily transferred to others?
- Are you passionate about a particular topic or niche that you can expand upon and monetize?
- Maybe you’re great with coding or computers? Or a whizz when it comes to admin and organising? Many people have made a niche for themselves becoming a VA (virtual assistant work)… and helping other people organize their days!
- Do you have an idea for a product or service that makes people’s lives easier, or safer or more enjoyable?
- Are you an amazing baker or foodie, a talented fitness instructor, a dab hand at finances or a fantastic photographer?
Hone in on what you love and what you’re great at and start to think about creating some mind maps around how you could easily monetize these talents and skills.
Think about what value these things might have for other people and how you could best charge for these things.
One of the best ways to avoid the money for time trap is to create passive income streams for yourself.
Passive income is where you spend the initial time and investment to set up systems and activities that, once in motion, will make you money with little effort or maintenance.
Great examples passive income streams are buying investment property, earning money from your website or blog through ad revenue, creating online products to sell on a recurring basis and affiliate marketing.
But the main thing to think about here is that you can create multiple income streams by thinking a little outside of the money for time box.
Do these 3 things before you quit your day job
1. Figure out your big picture
This is a crucial first step in quitting your 9-5. You have to know your true why. Your reason for doing everything you do.
Think about your goals from a heart centred approach. What is it that you truly want for your life? If you ask yourself why enough times you’ll eventually get to your answer!
You might start by thinking you want to, let’s say… retire early… but by asking yourself why enough times, you may find that retiring early is a by product only….
You may want to retire early … because you don’t enjoy your work, that you want to spend more time with your family, that you want to create a passive income, that you want to be more creative and that you want to create batter balance in your life.
All of that isn’t necessarily attached to retiring early, but it is about changing the way you think about work and getting paid to do what you’re great at.
Create goals for yourself and map out your vision board. Figure out what’s important to you. You can easily create your vision board in Canva, print it out and PIN it to your wall!
- What are your values and how is working for yourself attuned to these values?
- What would a fulfilling day look like to you?
- What would your life feel like if you were doing what you loved to make money?
- How would my life look in 5 or 10 years if you went out on your own now?
Do your homework on setting your goals and creating a vision for a future you love, then start working towards that.
Baby steps at first!
Invest in your future self.
2. Create community around your vision
You’ll likely find that while you personally have a vision for creating a specific outcome that many other people will also either share in that vision or be inspired by your path.
Find your community! Or better yet! Create your own community around your vision. Find people that share your common interests. Be that blogging, or photography, or fishing or fitness, whatever your passion is… whatever it is that you want to do… find your people, people!
Build relationships. Help others. And ask for help. People will love that you have a fire in your belly and humans are amazing- if you give them a chance to be.
You can start a Facebook Group. Find your tribe on Twitter or Instagram by using niche specific hashtags. Or join in discussions on Reddit or Quora. There are a tonne of people out there who both want to help you and want your help.
Create social profiles for what you want to do. Start to build up your content around your passions. Create a following in your areas of interest. Be the expert!
Start building your email list by offering a free digital product in your niche. This way you’ll get a super well qualified list of people who WANT what you’re eventually going to sell them. You can create pop ups and opt-ins in Convertkit super easily!
Community is what builds businesses! No other way to put it!
3. Own it!
You may not believe this. But, you are 1000% unique. You have something that no one else has.
Listen up. You have that thing that so many others are searching for. And what that thing is wrapped in is of MASSIVE value!
Your knowledge and skills come wrapped in an incredibly unique package. One that is not shared by anyone else on the planet. Your education, experience, values, characteristics and mindset are all things that make up who you are.
Own it! Own who you are and the value that you have to offer.
Ask to be paid for your thing! Its as simple as that. ASK. TO. BE. PAID.
Knock the negative self talk on the head and own your awesomeness. This is a massive mindset shift for many. We are so wired to think we are not good enough, that we might fail. That no one will read our work or no one will buy our products or services.
BUT, Hear me out.
That’s just your own shitty programming telling you lies!
You are worthy.
You are good enough.
You are smart and clever and A TOTAL BOSS.
So silence that inner critic and go for it!
Its ok to say… “hey, I’ve got this!”
I’m by no means advocating chucking it all in on whim and taking a stab in the dark at earning money some other way.
But, I am saying – do your homework … think about your why.
- Think about what you have to offer the world.
- Think about what you want your life to look like.
- Think about how you want to live your days and what doing good work looks like for you.
I’m saying- do the hard yards and invest in yourself. Then weight up if this is a risk you’re willing, and able to take.
It might just be the step you need to get started… baby steps!
All these things above you CAN DO WHILE YOU’RE STILL WORKING YOUR CURRENT JOB, then in time you’ll be able to chuck in your 9-5 and be truly independent.
Believe in yourself!
You might also like:
We’re no experts in money or finances… so consult a professional advisor or other expert when making money decisions… of course.